For those of you who haven’t heard of quinoa, I suggest you check it out. It’s a grain from South America, and can be used as a replacement for rice, pasta, couscous etc. It’s pretty high in protein, and has all of the essential amino acids. It’s also gluten free.
I’ve been eating it for the past few months, but just lately I’ve realized how versatile it is. It can be used in so many different types of recipes. Some excamples of things I’ve tried so far:
– Quinoa salad: mix it with peppers, tomatoes, avocado, onions, cucumbers, cheese, chicken and a vinaigrette salad dressing
– In wraps/quesadillas: Fry it in a pan with chicken, mushrooms, peppers, onions etc and use it as the filling in a tortilla. A sauce of sour cream/salsa/guacamole is really tasty with it
– In curry: Use it instead of rice in any curry dishes
– In eggs: I make omelettes with it, and it adds protein and texture, as well as reducing overall fat content
– With salmon: bbq salmon with some lemon juice, then served on top of quinoa. Sauce made out of sour cream, cilantro, lime and mayo
Quinoa is the ultimate superfood!